Monday, April 9, 2012

Reimagined Computer Desk

Once: A sewing machine/table Mom used to sew herself and the kids a new Easter outfit every year. (I'm the little one in the blue dress.)
Now:  A compact desk with extending table, perfect for the lazy person (that would be me) who wants to sit in her comfy chair with a cup of coffee and read her blogs every morning.

Here's how I did it:
I purchased a sewing table at a local flea market for $10.  I loved the clean lines of it and how it would extend out, and fold up for compact storage. For the price, I figured I couldn't go wrong.  I stripped all the old hardware off and took out the sewing machine (a lovely shade of green).

I wanted the table to be able to swing around in front of the chair I sit in each morning with my coffee reading, so I can work on my computer without having to get up. (Lazy, I know.) So, I cut off the old metal legs and added wheels.

Next, I stripped the table down to the bare wood, and after testing a stain on the wood, I found the wood wasn't the best quality and the stain didn't look good. So, I decided to paint it. I used multiple shades of browns, with a hint of burnt orange and mustard yellow and achieved a faux woodgrain.



After the painting was all done, I added vintage wallpaper from a great old sample wallpaper book I found in an antique store.  I love the character this adds!

This is the view from my chair.

Now, all finished. I can store the computer away in the desk when it's not in use and extend the table and get to work without having to get out of my comfy chair.




No comments: